The month of August ushers in the dog days of summer. That means heat indexes, high temperatures, and humidity. There are many ways to beat the summertime heat, but one of the most delicious ways to stay cool during a summer heatwave is one of our favorites – homemade popsicles.
The Down Side of Store-Bought Popsicles
Many store-bought popsicles are low in calories, averaging about 30-50 calories per popsicle. However, many of these popsicles contain little to no nutritional value and are essentially void of minerals and vitamins, which are crucial to children’s growth and overall health.
Another drawback to store-bought popsicles is that they contain added sugar. One average-sized popsicle can have upwards of 7-8 grams of sugar per popsicle, which is roughly equal to about 2 teaspoons per popsicle. Consuming too much sugar can have adverse effects on children’s health, so it is important parents monitor children’s sugar consumption and actively reduce it whenever possible.
Although an occasional popsicle or frozen fruit treat every now and then will not harm children’s health or weight in a major way, including them in children’s daily diets can eventually have a negative impact on children’s health and wellness. (The same applies to us big kids too!)
Making More Mindful Choices
Instead of selecting just any brand of store-bought popsicles, make more mindful choices with these shopping tips:
- Explore sugar-free popsicles. Shop for popsicles that are made without any added sugar, but beware of other questionable ingredients like artificial sweeteners that may be used in place of sugar.
- Look for mini versions. Many brands offer mini versions of their popular popsicles, offering snack-sized servings for the kiddos to enjoy. Just be sure to carefully review nutrition labels to be certain there is not any additional sugar added to these smaller sizes.
- Purchase popsicles made from 100% fruit juice. One of the best ways to avoid popsicles with added sugar or other artificial ingredients is to shop for popsicle brands that use 100% fruit juice or fruit puree as their main ingredients. These options usually do not include any added sugar and contain many of the same nutrients as their fresh fruit counterparts.
Homemade Popsicles and hellowater®
Another delicious, easy and fun way to make a more mindful popsicle choice is by creating your own homemade version, plus, when you use hellowater®, you can easily sneak in some extra added fiber or toxin defense to your children’s diet and they won’t even know it!
Homemade popsicles are culinary creations that can be unique to your children’s tastes. They are so easy to make, the kids can even get involved and help make their own, creating an almost effortless summertime activity children will enjoy.
Bonus: They get to eat them too!
Here is an easy recipe for homemade popsicles using hellowater®.
Mixed Fruit Popsicles Recipe
*Recipe yields (4) homemade popsicles
This recipe for homemade mixed fruit popsicles is incredibly flexible. Depending on your desired taste and texture, add as much fruit or hellowater® as you like. More fresh fruit creates a chunkier consistency while more liquid makes for a smoother popsicle.
Include fresh fruit that is in season. You can even pick some up at the community farmers market where you can support local growers. Some great summertime options include blackberries, blueberries, cherries, peaches, raspberries, and strawberries. Get creative and mix and match different fruit combinations to create one-of-a-kind flavors you and the kids can enjoy for the rest of summer.
- 2 cups of your favorite flavor of hellowater® – We recommend Black Cherry, Mixed Berry or Watermelon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- ½ cup peaches, sliced
- ¼ – ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ kiwi, sliced
- 1 pinch of sea salt
1.) Combine hellowater®, lime juice, and sea salt. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
2.) Place a small handful of berries, kiwi slices, peaches, and strawberries into popsicle molds. Fill popsicle molds ⅔ of the way with fresh fruit.
3.) Next, fill popsicle molds with hellowater®. About ¾ of the way.
4.) Place popsicle molds in the freezer for 45 minutes or until popsicles are slushy.
5.) Add more fresh and insert wooden sticks into each individual popsicle mold.
6.) Freeze for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight or at least until popsicles are frozen solid.
7.) Remove popsicles from popsicle molds by running the popsicle molds under hot water for about 5-10 seconds.
8.) Enjoy immediately and remember to share with family, friends, and neighbors.
Tag us @drinkhellowater so we can see all of your homemade popsicle recipes using hellowater® .